Saturday, October 10, 2015

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

It's the month of October and I am behind on my posts!! Shame on me!!I hope this finds everyone well! October is such an important month for awareness of a few different things, and I am going to talk about them over a series of posts in no specific order because each one is as important as the other. 

October is breast cancer awareness month!! I am happy and proud to say that my mom is a breast cancer survivor. In May of 2013, she was diagnosed with Ductal carcinoma in situ. According to cancer.org, it is expected that in 2015, an estimate of 60,290 new cases of female breast carcinoma in situ are expected to be diagnosed.  This accounts for about 20% of all breast tumors in women.

We were very lucky that she caught it early through a regular mammogram. It was at stage zero. This is proof that early detection is so important. This is also proof as to why mammography is so important in addition to self breast exams. Mom was told it was very small and more than likely, she wouldn't have been able to detect this with just a self exam. She had the lump removed and went through radiation treatment. So far so good, and any testing she has had to go through since then has been coming back negative.  She is doing great today!!
                
My mom is an amazing woman and I love her dearly! She is living proof that early detection is so important. So please make sure you are doing self exams regularly and schedule yourself for a mammogram. Breast cancer IS treatable if caught early, It is no longer the death sentence it used to be. Thanks for reading and if you haven't already done so, please schedule your mammogram soon!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment